Covid 19 is such a bitch. Since the start of January 2020, I was about 99% sure that I would be accepted in my ENT residency in one of those hospitals I applied in. However, in the middle of January, the Taal volcano erupted, and sometime in February, a damn disease just started to spread in China which was overlooked.
Fast forward to April, cases began to rise here in the Philippines. For the first time in my life as a doctor, I never felt more scared all my life. Left and right, people started coughing. The ER became a market place. Even I work here in a small hospital in our town of Las Pinas City, patients began to line up. Doctors began coughing and began quitting, leaving a few of us to run the hospital. In the first few months of the pandemic, masks were getting scarce, PPEs (protective equipments) were almost non existent, and protocols were unestablished. I blame the government for this; for letting the mainland Chinese to come and go freely in our country, heedless of the international news of a growing outbreak started from mainland China. After a few weeks, the virus became a pandemic, and people started dying. It was a scary moment, a dreadful event. I dont want to go to work, but someone has to pay the bills.
So I have no choice but to improvise. So far in the months of staying in the ER, my attendance has been unblemished and Im one of those people who tested NEGATIVE in all my RT-PCR swab tests.
Let me share you my tips:
- WEAR QUALITY RESPIRATORS – My respirator was a washable Shigematsu mask which I always wear in my duties, going outside the house, going out of the market, and basically going out everywhere. I may look like someone who is sporting a funny mask, and the respirator itself was expensive, but what is P2000 when you’re not dead?
2. WEAR FULL FACE SHIELD – I dont know how the fad started why people started to wear half- face shields, but aside from it protects nothing, you look stupid. Face shields work, together with your mask.
3. INVEST IN AN AIR PURIFIER – Now this is controversial; there are very few studies if charged ions do really work, but at least keep one near you especially if you’re sleeping in a shady place.
4. STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE WHO YOU THINK IS MANIFESTING SYMPTOMS – Will it hurt their feelings if you wear masks in front of them? Fuck their feelings, protect yourself.
5. WASH YOUR HANDS – For the hands is the devil’s playground, and Covids’ nightbar
6. SOAK IN VITAMINS, GET PLENTY OF REST – Having a healthy immune system is always the first line of defense. Avoid getting sick from other ailments.
7. AVOID MALLS – Use online shopping.
8. PROTECT YOURSELF, THEN PROTECT OTHERS – If you feel something like cough, colds, fever, headache, diarrhea, loss of taste, loss of smell. Be honest and be responsible.
9. TAKE A BATH REGULARLY – Hygeine is very important.
Basically that is it. Someday, this all will pass. For now, let us all endure. Survive and live. Never give up and never lose hope.
Send my a message if you have any questions!